demo #1 Download

Try it out !
jerome
Site Admin

demo #1 Download

Post by jerome » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:43 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DEMO #1 (2019/03/07)

this demo contains 4 levels - and a few misc. bugs about score and timers but it's ok :roll:
  • you need an Atari 520ST or an emulator like Steem*
  • You need a joystick - this is how we called a gamepad in the 20s century**
  • work with TOS 1.x releases
* I don't have a working Atari right now, and didn't test with SainT, Hatari etc... please let me know here !
** Should work with keyboard by emulating a joystick with Steem, but didn't find how.

share it at will.
THANKS for your feedbacks !
You can post anything about bugs, compatibility issue here.
also check the About Sam > What's next thread if you didn't ! ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Attachments
SNDEMO01_206.PRG.st
all TOS versions
(720 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
SNDEMO01.PRG.st
< 2.06 TOS only
(720 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Jerome
Paris, France
support Sam !
#instagram

ggn

Re: demo #1 Download

Post by ggn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi,

First of all: I absolutely love single screen platform games, so this really struck a chord with me! Congratulations for releasing this, even as a limited demo for now, I hope you make the effort to bring it to completion :).

I only reached level 3 at the time of writing, so I guess I have seen 75% of its content! What I like about the game so far:

- Single screen platformer \o/
- Graphic style - nice animations and levels! In a way it reminds me of Bonanza Bros.
- Seems to have variation in the mechanics, each screen so far had a unique gaming mechanic
- Help screen - really nice touches in there explaining the possible character moves
- Challenging - lots of effort needed to finish each level. The player has to discover things for himself/herself. I'm not really a fan of modern games hand holding you and teaching you everything just before you need it

What I didn't like/found not to my taste/etc:

- The lives system. Perhaps it could be removed entirely? The player gets enough punishment as is, having to start from the beginning when lives are over tends to get a bit tedious and stretching the game artificially.
- Player movement is a bit glitchy and imprecise. With games like these where precise positioning of the player is a requirement, it does seem unfair sometimes when you lose a life due to the game interpreting your moves in a not consistent way.
- I wish lasers were a bit more predictable. As it is now they look pretty random
- Lots of small bugs encountered like:
- score at the end of the level (a bit to high? :))
- player disappearing for a few seconds at the start of the level instead of blinking
- stos crashing out when you restart the game (sometimes)
- menu cursor moving at high speeds, so that hitting an option is random
- game not working on my megaste with tos 2.06. Actually I noticed that you use stos compiler 1.0. Perhaps this will become a bit better if you switch to a newer compiler version? (IIRC latest compiler version is 2.6)

I guess that's all for now. I hope I didn't come out too negative there! It's just that I really liked what I've played so far and I do have some opinions on playing games.

Hopefully we will eventually see a finished game!

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 pm

thanks a lot for you post ggn !
it's very instructive and precise :)
first sorry if my english looks a bit odd..
The lives system. having to start from the beginning when lives are over tends to get a bit tedious and stretching the game artificially.
Yes, it could need a pass-through code every 3 levels or something...
Also the levels are unbalanced, like between 2 and 3, so it doesn't help. steps would be to rework the level editor first - it's a mess for now, not sure the floppy I found was the last version I did -, then balance "difficulty steps".
I tried to renum the levels for the demo, as some >3 levels are easier than level 3, but there's a protection system I need to reverse. The young me appears to be more clever (and perverted) than the old me :geek:
please note a cheat is available, from the menu, but there's no hints, I should work on that also.
- Player movement is a bit glitchy and imprecise. With games like these where precise positioning of the player is a requirement, it does seem unfair sometimes when you lose a life due to the game interpreting your moves in a not consistent way.
- I wish lasers were a bit more predictable. As it is now they look pretty random
- menu cursor moving at high speeds, so that hitting an option is random
- player disappearing for a few seconds at the start of the level instead of blinking
It is due to the compilation, most of it : I had to add time based delays to slow down Sam. Or add some features as I have more room..
Im working on it. :geek:
score at the end of the level (a bit to high? :))
aha yes, this is about the double then single-precision floating-point evolutions between STOS version, due to TOS changes over the year. it needs a little rewrite. for now I just quickly modified it so it can work.
I don't understand why the young me coded the scoring system with floats.. If I remember the motivation it was just to display a dot between the player icon and the score.. teenagers are definitely strange.
stos crashing out when you restart the game (sometimes)
game not working on my megaste with tos 2.06. Actually I noticed that you use stos compiler 1.0. Perhaps this will become a bit better if you switch to a newer compiler version? (IIRC latest compiler version is 2.6)
I think I used the 2.6 compiler .. ? I'll check that, but yes you're right for now it works with TOS < 2.06.
but will try with STOS v3 at exxohost : http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/STOS_index.htm

could you please tell me more about the hardware or emulators you used, and fail/success case ?
I understood that it failed on your 1040STE with a 2.06 TOS am I correct ?

I only use Steem for now, my 520 is still in piece :|
Jerome
Paris, France
support Sam !
#instagram

ggn

Post by ggn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 pm

jerome wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 pm
could you please tell me more about the hardware or emulators you used, and fail/success case ?
I understood that it failed on your 1040STE with a 2.06 TOS am I correct ?
No, I tried this with a MegaSTE which has TOS 2.06, but for most things yes this is close to a STE with TOS 2.06. I will try it on a couple of STFMs and a STE (but these will require setting up).

As for emulators, I just used STEem engine 3.2

st graveyard
Hackers

Post by st graveyard » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Hello Jerome,

I just completed the demo. I have to say, it is really, really well made. I love the fact that you have created nice graphics for about everything in the game, start screen, game over screen, level complete screen. In game graphics are also good and animation is well done.
For me personally, after a few tries, the controles worked really well. I played the game for now on STEEM using my ... wait for it ... Xbox 360 controller and I have to say, it plays great.
I understand why GGN tells this game reminds him of Bonanza Brothers, as the setting is similar. To me however, this game is a bit more like a cross between lemmings and the amazing spiderman. It is puzzle solving with a bit of platforming.
The life system in this game does indeed seem a bit off ... I would much rather have a level code after each completed level (like lemmings). But for me it is not a game breaker as it is.
Sound effects and music are nice. Level design is really good and me personally, I like the fact that the level of difficulty switches a bit. I think the first level was the hardest. Or maybe because after level one I learned the controls.
I encountered one bug in the highscore screen where my score had weird characters in it. Also, when you complete the game the screens shows 'congratulation', while it should be 'congratulationS'. I've added the screens in the attachement.
I also want to see more of this game. I wonder what your plans are. You (or at least the young you ;) seem to have a talent in game design!

Cheers,
Maarten

PS : I've now added screenshots of each level at Atari Legend ;-)
Attachments
SNDEMO01.PRG_033.png
CongratulationS
SNDEMO01.PRG_033.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 421 times
SNDEMO01.PRG_028.png
Weird chars
SNDEMO01.PRG_028.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 421 times

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 pm

thanks Marteen !
I also want to see more of this game. I wonder what your plans are.
A part of me really want to take care about the game : level editor, level refacto and new ones, reverse eng, player feedbacks, music, (.. really ? you like the music ?? :))
Another part tells me it's not wise, I've hard time about time control, parallelizing tasks, Im a 68000 :D .. worst case scenario is that I will take care of some bugs and TOS 2.06. I talk about it here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5
Jerome
Paris, France
support Sam !
#instagram

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 am

In a way it reminds me of Bonanza Bros.
looks really funny, I never saw/played it (yet)
Jerome
Paris, France
support Sam !
#instagram

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:34 am

I just uploaded a _206.PRG.ST in the first post,
:arrow: it should work with any tos version, please let me know
Jerome
Paris, France
support Sam !
#instagram

AtariCrypt
Outlaw

Post by AtariCrypt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Wow I really love this game. Perfect combo or platformer and puzzle. But (being a demo) it's obviously not finished and it shows. I think ggn hit the nail on its head a number of times... I too didn't care for the flickery sprite at the start, nor do I like the number of lives you're given. This doesn't work well for this kind of game so passwords would be perfect (or inf lives). The highscore table is funny with those crazy numbers ;)

I must say that I enjoyed the music - but I switched it off. Why? Well, those sound effects!!! WOW!!!! I'm in ZX Spectrum heaven listening to him walk, jump, etc... However, it's the player movement (as ggn says) which requires the biggest change because it's far too finicky and unforgiving. I noticed it straight away on my first game when I couldn't successfully climb a ladder without tapping left/right to align myself juuuuust right. Really annoying that. (lol sorry). This needs fixing IMHO.

Anyhow, I have really enjoyed playing this today. Sam Nasty could be so superb when complete. It's great now, but the niggles need to be fixed, etc.etc. However, I'm embarrassed to admit I cannot beat level 3. Lol it's too hard for a man of my gaming skills :D :D :D I'll try again tomorrow....

Great work so far :)

Steve

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 am

ahah thanks for the review AtariCrypt :)
about the ladders, I have to say it would be cool if you can elaborate a bit more, because at the moment I'm not sure to understand what the problem is.
Im too used to climb them certainly - But there IS a problem since at least you and st graveyard have issues with ladders

my guess is that it's about tolerance, "pixels tolerance" for align (dunno how to say that in english :) )

are you stuck by the ceilings or the floors when climbing up or down ?
ladder1.png
ladder1.png (4.68 KiB) Viewed 365 times
(2 pixels tol.)

and/or it's too hard to begin to climb the ladder ?
ladder2.png
ladder2.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 365 times
(6 pixels tol.)

or something else ?
Jerome
Paris, France
support Sam !
#instagram