First of all: I absolutely love single screen platform games, so this really struck a chord with me! Congratulations for releasing this, even as a limited demo for now, I hope you make the effort to bring it to completion
I only reached level 3 at the time of writing, so I guess I have seen 75% of its content! What I like about the game so far:
- Single screen platformer \o/
- Graphic style - nice animations and levels! In a way it reminds me of Bonanza Bros.
- Seems to have variation in the mechanics, each screen so far had a unique gaming mechanic
- Help screen - really nice touches in there explaining the possible character moves
- Challenging - lots of effort needed to finish each level. The player has to discover things for himself/herself. I'm not really a fan of modern games hand holding you and teaching you everything just before you need it
What I didn't like/found not to my taste/etc:
- The lives system. Perhaps it could be removed entirely? The player gets enough punishment as is, having to start from the beginning when lives are over tends to get a bit tedious and stretching the game artificially.
- Player movement is a bit glitchy and imprecise. With games like these where precise positioning of the player is a requirement, it does seem unfair sometimes when you lose a life due to the game interpreting your moves in a not consistent way.
- I wish lasers were a bit more predictable. As it is now they look pretty random
- Lots of small bugs encountered like:
- score at the end of the level (a bit to high?
- player disappearing for a few seconds at the start of the level instead of blinking
- stos crashing out when you restart the game (sometimes)
- menu cursor moving at high speeds, so that hitting an option is random
- game not working on my megaste with tos 2.06. Actually I noticed that you use stos compiler 1.0. Perhaps this will become a bit better if you switch to a newer compiler version? (IIRC latest compiler version is 2.6)
I guess that's all for now. I hope I didn't come out too negative there! It's just that I really liked what I've played so far and I do have some opinions on playing games.
Hopefully we will eventually see a finished game!